Sunday, March 13, 2016

What is a Thriller?

I've been talking about this thriller genre a lot. You're probably wondering what exactly is a thriller film? Is it the same as a horror film? A thriller is a genre that is based mostly on suspense and anticipation. Usually the protagonist has a problem that he/she faces and works to solve throughout the film. This problem is built up throughout the film and ultimately leads up to an emotional climax. Not always does the film rely on blood and guts and killing to scare the viewer, like in a horror film.


A horror films' main purpose is to frighten or create panic within the audience. Unlike thriller films, they usually focus around an evil force such as a ghost or spirit. As I said before, the fear in the audience usually comes from killing or a lot of gore in the plot.

My group and I decided to choose thriller as our genre because that is one of the genres we are familiar with and will watch several examples of thriller film openings in order to gain knowledge and ideas for our own. We are leaning towards mostly establishing setting with our film opening, but we will continue top think it through.



 "Thriller." Genre:. Web. 11 Mar. 2016.
"Horror." Genre:. Web. 11 Mar. 2016. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Brett for clearly distinguishing the two genres that people often confuse.I'm glad you've chosen to create a thriller like myself because I feel like horror movies may be too cliche and it is difficult to actually frighten others. With a thriller its all about the suspense and anxiety your film creates in the viewer, thats key. In my research I've discovered that are many different types of thrillers so you could be a bit more specific to see where your vision lies, I am curious to see what will happen in the prison.

    ReplyDelete