Friday, March 25, 2016

Research?

Lately I have been doing some research to help get a better idea of how our opening should be created. This isn't like normal boring research for a 10 page paper. I have been watching films and tv shows either relating to the genre or setting in order to get some more ideas flowing. This kind of research is fun for me because I am a huge movie fanatic and watch them all the time.

First I looked at our genre of a thriller movie to try to get some ideas. One of my favorite movies, Seven, directed by David Fincher, has a very unique and interesting opening. It combines several creepy elements with great artwork and works to create suspense for the viewer. The music in the background fits perfectly and helps to create suspense as well. That opening can be viewed here.

I began thinking of what else I have watched that could possibly relate to our film opening and could give us some ideas. One thing that popped into my head was the show prison break created by Paul Scheuring. It has some aspects that relate to the thriller genre, but what I was more interested in was its setting, a prison. In this opening there are many quick shots that fade in and out to develop the setting mostly, and some of what goes on during the season. I really like the use of the fading shots, maybe we can incorporate that into our film opening.


 "Forget the Film, Watch the Titles." Seven Title Sequence. Web. 24 Mar. 2016. 

 MrIslamZidaN. "Prison Break Main Theme ( with Intro )." YouTube. YouTube, 2012. Web. 24 Mar. 2016. 

1 comment:

  1. Great job on the research. From the links posted Im assuming that your trying to nail a harsh yet thrilling look. I would personally recommend watching Alfred Hitchcock films, such as Psycho and North by Northwest. When you mentioned the creepy elements I was wondering what exactly those were, so If you could elaborate more that would be great. Now while you discussed the techniques giving a quick summary of what they were, I would have loved to hear a more in-depth analysis as to how the various elements in the opening for Seven or the fade in and outs of Prison Break worked to create a thrilling feeling. I made the same mistake on my blog as to not going to in-depth with my resources so I wouldn't want you to suffer from the same mistake. Overall, excited as to how your opening ends up!

    ReplyDelete